Ventricular Septal Rupture Secondary to Myocardial Infarction Post Fibrinolytic Therapy: A Case Report
A Case Report
Myocardial infarction can be complicated by Ventricular septal rupture which is a rare fatal grim mechanical complication of MI which is a surgical emergency due to its incredibly high mortality rate. We depict a case of Anterior wall MI which was complicated by Ventricular septal rupture post fibrinolytic therapy.
2. Shabir Bhimji. Postinfarction Ventricular Septal Rupture: Treatment & Management. Medscape Mar 09, 2017 . Available from URL:https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/428240-treatment.
3. Ledakowicz-Polak A, Jander S, Kidawa M, Stokfisz K, Zielińska M.Ventricular Septal Rupture After Acute Myocardial Infarction-Do We Know Which Strategy to Choose? Clin Exp Cardiolog 2017; 8:522.
4. Honan MB, Harrell FE, Reimer KA, et al. Cardiac rupture, mortality and the timing of thrombolytic therapy: a meta-analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol1990;16:359–67.
5. Crenshaw BS, Granger CB, Birnbaum Y, et al. Risk factors, angiographic patterns, and outcomes in patients with ventricular septal defect complicating acute myocardial infarction. GUSTO-I (Global Utilization of Streptokinase
and TPA for Occluded Coronary Arteries) Trial Investigators. Circulation 2000;101(1):27–32.
6. Becker RC, Hochman JS, Cannon CP, et al. Fatal cardiac rupture among patients treated with thrombolytic agents and adjunctive thrombin antagonists: observations from the Thrombolysis and Thrombin Inhibition in Myocardial Infarction 9 Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 1999;33:479–87.
7. Lock E, Block P, MD, McKay R, et al. Transcatheter Closure of Ventricular Septal Defects. Circulation1988;78:361–8.