Evaluation of Human Albumin Use Pattern in a Referral Teaching Hospital
Background: Albumin is generally used in hypovolemic conditions and due to its high cost and complicated manufacturing process, its appropriate use is a vital issue to be considered. The aim of this study was to evaluate the pattern of Albumin prescription in Imam Khomeini teaching hospital in Urmia, Iran.country.
Methods: This study was carried out between December 2014 to December 2015 in the Imam Khomeini hospital, affiliated to Urmia University of Medical Sciences, using pre-designed forms covering demographic data and clinical and laboratory information that was completed by the educated pharmacist on a daily observational basis.
Results: A total of 202 patients were selected with the mean age of 55.9±20.5 years, including 53% male patients. The highest prescription percentages were for patients with the diagnosis of Gastrointestinal Cancers (10.9%) while most of the patients were admitted in burn ward (16.3%). Overall 2755 Albumin 20% vials equal to almost 3030 million Rials were used while only 79 (39.1%) of the prescriptions were appropriate. Hypoalbuminemia was responsible for the highest number of inappropriate indications.
Conclusion: Our results showed a low percentage of acceptable prescriptions which highlights the necessity for reviewing and supervising the utilization of Albumin in this hospital.
2. ARAMWIT P, KASETTRATAT N. Evaluation of Serum Albumin Utilization in Inpatient at a Private Hospital in Bangkok. YAKUGAKU ZASSHI. The Pharmaceutical Society of Japan; 2004;124(9):631–4.
3. Jahangard-Rafsanjani Z, Javadi MR, Torkamandi H, Alahyari S, Talasaz AH, Gholami K. The evaluation of albumin utilization in a teaching university hospital in iran. Iran J Pharm Res. 2011;10(2):385–90.
4. Ala S, Salehifar E, Chalaki V. Evaluation of Albumin Use in a Teaching Hospital. Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences. 2015 ;25(129):137–41.
5. Kazemi Y, Hadavand N, Hayatshahi A, Torkamandi H, Gholami K, Hadjibabaie M, Jahangard-Rafsanjani Z, Javadi M. Albumin utilization in a teaching hospital in Tehran: time to revise the prescribing strategies. Journal of Pharmaceutical Care. 2013; 1(4):127-32.
6. Vargas E, de Miguel V, Portolés A, Avendaño C, Ambit MI, Torralba A, et al. Use of albumin in two Spanish university hospitals. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1997;52(6):465–70.
7. Shafiee E, Hamishehkar H, Rezaee H, Entezari-Maleki T. The Evaluation of Albumin Use in an Iranian University Hospital. Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016;22:186–9.
8. Kishk O, Amy Yeung SY, Gonzales J. 928. Crit Care Med. 2013 Dec;41:A233.
9. Somers A, Bauters T, Robays H, Bogaert M, Colardyn F, Robays H. Evaluation of human albumin use in a university hospital in Belgium. Pharm World Sci, 2002; 24(3);111-6
10. Xu F, Zhou T, Lu S, Liu X, Zhang Y. Review of the rational use and adverse reactions to human serum albumin in the People’s Republic of China. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2013 Nov;7:1207.
11. Foroughinia F, Mazraie S. Investigating the use of human albumin in a non-teaching hospital in Iran. Iranian journal of pharmaceutical research. 2017;16(2):814–9.
12. Zolfagharian F, Ghazanfari S, Elyasi S, Iraji P, Saberi MR, Vahdati-Mashhadian N, et al. Drug utilization evaluation of albumin in a teaching hospital of Mashhad, Iran: an interventional pre–post design study. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy. 2017 May;1–8.
13. Mahmoudi L, Karamikhah R, Mahdavinia A, Samiei H, Petramfar P, Niknam R. Implementation of Pharmaceutical Practice Guidelines by a Project Model Based. Medicine (Baltimore). 2015 Oct;94(42):e1744.
14. Talasaz AH, Jahangard-Rafsanjani Z, Ziaie S, Fahimi F. Evaluation of the pattern of human albumin utilization at a university affiliated hospital. Arch Iran Med. 2012 Feb;15(2):85–7.
15. Farsad BF, Hadavand N, Masumi S, Salehi H. Albumin Utilization Review to Evaluate The Efficacy and Cost, Perform as a Qualitative Study in Special Wards in Shaheed Rajaei Cardiovascular, Medical & Research Center. Biosci Biotechnol Res ASIA. 2016;13(3):1469–77.
16. Roberts I, Blackhall K, Alderson P, Bunn F, Schierhout G. Human albumin solution for resuscitation and volume expansion in critically ill patients. Cochrane Database systematic reviews. 2011; Nov;(11).
17. Remohí MJT, Arcos AS, Ramos BS, Paloma JB, Aznar MDG. Costs Related to Inappropriate Use of Albumin in Spain. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2000 ;34(10):1198–205.
18. Lyu PF, Hockenberry JM, Gaydos LM, Howard DH, Buchman TG, Murphy DJ. Impact of a Sequential Intervention on Albumin Utilization in Critical Care*. Crit Care Med. 2016 Jul;44(7):1307–13.
19. Dastan F, Jamaati H, Emami H, Haghgoo R, Eskandari R, Hashemifard SS, et al. Reducing Inappropriate Utilization of Albumin: The Value of Pharmacist-led Intervention Model. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research; 2018;17(3):1125–9.
20. Farsad BF, Hadavand N, Masumi S, Salehi H. Albumin utilization review to evaluate the efficacy and cost, perform as a qualitative study in special wards in Shaheed Rajaei cardiovascular, medical &research center. Biosciences Biotechnology Research Asia 2016;13(3):1469-77.
21. Remohí MJ, Arcos AS, Ramos BS, Paloma JB, Aznar MD. Costs related to inappropriate use of albumin in Spain. Ann Pharmacother 2000;34(10):1198- 205.
22. Lyu PF, Hockenberry JM, Gaydos LM, Howard DH, Buchman TG, Murphy DJ. Impact of a sequential intervention on albumin utilization in critical care. Crit Care Med 2016;44(7):1307-13.
23. Dastan F, Jamaati H, Emami H, et al. Reducing inappropriate utilization of albumin: the value of pharmacist-led intervention model. Iran J Pharm Res 2018;17(3):1125-29.
24. Kazemi Y, Hadavand N, Hayatshahi A, et al. Albumin Utilization in a Teaching Hospital in Tehran: Time to Revise the Prescribing Strategies. J Pharm Care 2013;1(4):127-32.
Copyright (c) 2019 Journal of Pharmaceutical Care
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.