Pharmacotherapy Plays Main Role in Managing Acute Epiploic Appendagitis: A Case Report
Background: Epiploic appendagitis is natural fats at the anti-mesenchymal surface of the colon. EP is self- limited. Misdiagnosis can lead to unnecessary hospitalization, antibiotic therapy, and surgical intervention. The incidence reported 8.8 cases / million / year.
Case presentation: Here, we report on 36-year-old female patient who presented with acute abdominal pain that was getting worse with the change of position. Based on these symptoms and double contrast computed tomography, she was diagnosed with epiploic appendagitis in adjacent to the sigmoid. The patient was treated successfully with conservative management and antibiotics.
Conclusions: Since the signs and symptoms of epiploic appendagitis are nonspecific, but considering of this disease as one of the differential diagnoses of acute abdominal pain can prevent the disease from misdiagnosing.
1. Ross JA. Vascular loops in the appendices epiploicæ. Their anatomy and surgical significance, with a review of the surgical pathology of appendices epiploicæ. BJS Open 1950;37(148):464-6.
2. Schnedl WJ, Krause R, Tafeit E, Tillich M, Lipp RW, Wallner-Liebmann SJ. Insights into epiploic appendagitis. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011;8(1):45.
3. Gomez M, Besson M, Scotto B, Huten N, Alison D. Frequency and epidemiology of primary epiploic appendagitis on CT in adults with abdominal pain. J RADIOL 2008;89(2):235-43.
4. Ozdemir S, Gulpinar K, Leventoglu S, Uslu HY, Turkoz E, Ozcay N, et al. Torsion of the primary epiploic appendagitis: a case series and review of the literature. Am J Surg 2010;199(4):453-8.
5. Legome EL, Belton AL, Murray RE, Rao PM, Novelline RA. Epiploic appendagitis: the emergency department presentation. J Emerg Med 2002;22(1):9-13.
6. Singh AK, Gervais DA, Hahn PF, Sagar P, Mueller PR, Novelline RA. Acute epiploic appendagitis and its mimics. Radiographics 2005;25(6):1521-34.
7. Nugent JP, Ouellette HA, O’Leary DP, Khosa F, Nicolaou S, McLaughlin PD. Epiploic appendagitis: 7-year experience and relationship with visceral obesity. ABDOM RADIOL 2018;43(7):1552-7.
8. Rioux M, Langis P. Primary epiploic appendagitis: clinical, US, and CT findings in 14 cases. Radiology 1994;191(2):523-6.
9. Bundred N, Clason A, Eremin O. Torsion of an appendix epiploica of the small bowel. Br J Clin Pract 1986;40(9):387-.
10. Vazquez-Frias J, Castañeda P, Valencia S, Cueto J. Laparoscopic diagnosis and treatment of an acute epiploic appendagitis with torsion and necrosis causing an acute abdomen. JSLS 2000;4(3):247.
11. Patel VG, Rao A, Williams R, Srinivasan R, Fortson JK, Weaver WL. Cecal epiploic appendagitis: a diagnostic and therapeutic dilemma. Am Surg 2007;73(8):828-30.
12. Pines B, Rabinovitch J, Biller SB. Primary torsion and infarction of the appendices epiploicae. Arch Surg 1941;42(4):775-87.
13. Boulanger BR, Barnes S, Bernard AC. Epiploic appendagitis: an emerging diagnosis for general surgeons. Am Surg 2002;68(11):1022.
14. Lien W-C, Lai T-I, Lin G-S, Wang H-P, Chen W-J, Cheng T-Y. Epiploic appendagitis mimicking acute cholecystitis. Am J Emerg Med 2004;22(6):507-8.
15. Pavone E, Mehta S, Trudel J, Reinhold C, Bret P, Barkun A. Torsion of an appendix epiploica: a nonsurgical cause of acute abdomen. Dig Dis Sci 1997;42(4):851.
16. Uslu NT, Ozgül E, Oğuz D, Cakir B, Tarhan NC, Coşkun M. An uncommon cause of acute abdomen--epiploic appendagitis: CT findings. Turk J Gastroenterol 2007;18(2):107-10.
17. Romaniuk C, Simpkins K. Case report: pericolic abscess secondary to torsion of an appendix epiploica. Clin Radiol 1993;47(3):216-7.
18. Danielson K, Chernin MM, Amberg JR, Goff S, Durham JR. Epiploic appendicitis: CT characteristics. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1986;10(1):142-3.
19. Legome EL, Sims C, Rao PM. Epiploic appendagitis: adding to the differential of acute abdominal pain. J Emerg Med 1999;17(5):823-6.
20. Sangha S, Soto JA, Becker JM, Farraye FA. CASE REPORT: Primary Epiploic Appendagitis: An Underappreciated Diagnosis. A Case Series and Review of the Literature. Dig Dis Sci 2004;49(2):347.